Saturday, January 12, 2013

**REVIEW** Eternal starling by Angela Corbett

A love so strong, even eternity can't separate them. Evie Starling has lived a relatively uneventful life hanging out with friends, gossiping about boys, and driving her 1966 Mustang. All of that changes when she moves to Gunnison, Colorado, to start college and meets two mysterious men. For centuries, Alex Night and Emil Stone have yearned for Evie but they each have their own reasons for wanting to be with her. When both men claim to be her soul mate and tell her about an unbelievable past, Evie learns that she s not the person she thought she was. Soon, Evie finds herself in the middle of an age-old battle between the Amaranthine Society the soul protectors, and the Daevos Resistance the soul destroyers. With a past she doesn't understand, and a future rife with danger, Evie has to decide who she can trust. But Alex and Emil aren't the only ones who want Evie, and her soul is about to become the rope in an eternal tug-of-war.

Release Date:  December 6,  2011
Published by: Pendrell Publishing  
Review Copy: Kindle copy


Review

I first see this beauty over on Jean the Book Nerds site and was instantly drawn in by the beautiful cover.  I can not deny thought that it was the description that did me right in.  I am a sucker for the entire soul mate thing and though I was a little hesitant at the thought of having to deal with two guys, I hoped that the reast of the story would out weigh it or at least it would have one of the triangles that don't drive me bat nut crazy.  For a girl that used to love them I have found lately that they crawl under my skin and dig in at me. This one for the most part did not do that but I will explain that later on.

  Evangeline aka Evie was not what I thought she was going to be, well mostly.  I thought she was in the start but then somewhere in the middle I found myself thinking that she was better than this.  To start she was such a real and fun person.  Comfortable in her body even if it wasn't a size 2 and doing things because she wanted.  She than became the girl that couldn't make up her own mind and was being swayed by two boys that were both after her for their own reasons.  She is drawn to both and I totally respect that and I know there must be a reason behind it but at some point I expected her to put her foot down and tell them to back the heck up because they were smothering her.  She seemed so placid once they both told her their stories and in my mind I seen her telling them both  they needed to let her breath but she allowed them to treat her like a vulnerable child.  She did actually redeem herself near the end and I was all smiles when she finally stepped up but it took a little prodding from an outside source.  Needless to say I do want to see more of this girl and where her new found talent takes her in the future.

  There is quite obviously a triangle at work here.  I know many of you will run right now just at the mention of that word but I keep on going for them no matter how much I tell myself I shouldn't.  Evie is stuck between two guys and really I would like to say it is a clear cut decision but it isn't even close.  So let m break them down for you.

  I was totally all Team Alex because honestly their chemistry is off the charts hot and they needed to be acting on that more.  The problem with him is also something kind of sweet.  He wants to be old fashioned you know "Let me open doors and pull chairs out," that kind of deal and I did the *swoon*.  Then all of a sudden  he was going beyond that and into a control freak.  I was really disappointed at this point because I liked Alex but when he left and still tried to dictate how Evie ran her life, I couldn't love him as much.  I knew that he wanted to protect her but really all the crap he put her through did more damage than good.

  Emil was a complete 360 from Alex.  I mean I guess that's the point with competing guys right but just wow.  At first Emil really annoyed me with his forward, expectant and cocky attitude.  First meeting he strolled right up to Evie and made out with her but that's just him.  There is the minor problem of him being the bad guy but expectantly he isn't really.  By the end I really felt bad for Emil, he was strung along and didn't really get a chance.  Though Evie made him feel like he did I think her heart wanted Alex more.  With his easier going attitude and the way things went I do believe I may be Team Emil now...  I know I am just like Evie.

  The story itself was good.  Angela took the soul mates story and made her own unique twist with it.  There are two possible soul mates for this girl or so it seems that way.  Her soul mark seems to respond to both of the guys and this leaves room for so many interesting theories and possibilities.  I also really enjoyed Angela's writing and how well it flowed.  There was such a consistent pace and feel to the book that there was never really any slow or boring patches.  Despite our differences, the characters had depth and were easy to see.  

  There is so much potential with this series and I was shocked that the next book doesn't have a release date as of yet.  I do hope that this series carries and I myself am waiting to see what happens with everyone.  By the end of this book the high tension and emotion defiantly had my hooked.

Quotes
When there's a real possibility you might not live another day, you go through a range of emotions.  I had already hit fear, then panic.


I pulled into the parking lot at seven-forty-five listening to Wicked the musical, signing along with it when I could hit the notes.



I'm 5'9" and don't know what I weigh.  I think scales were invented by the devil and only doctors and masochists own them.



"Reincarnation is a means for finding your soul mate.  Souls spend hundreds, even thousands of years living and dying in search of their one true love..."


"I felt drugged and not very responsive, but I could see the things that were going on.  It was kind of like watching a movie on pain killers."

2 comments:

  1. This is the first I've heard of this one but I'm really interested. I'm going to be checking this out, even though the last thing I should be doing is starting yet another series! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love triangle and soul mates. It definitely has 2 big things going against it for a lot of readers. Sometimes, I am included in that. They are both things that frustrate me, but there are circumstances where both have been done well. It is always a toss up, that is why I don't immediately write them off. And this cover is quite pretty isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...