Tuesday, February 19, 2013

**REVIEW** Prodigy by Marie Lu

June and Day arrive in Vegas just as the unthinkable happens: the Elector Primo dies, and his son Anden takes his place. With the Republic edging closer to chaos, the two join a group of Patriot rebels eager to help Day rescue his brother and offer passage to the Colonies. They have only one request—June and Day must assassinate the new Elector.
It’s their chance to change the nation, to give voice to a people silenced for too long. 
But as June realizes this Elector is nothing like his father, she’s haunted by the choice ahead. What if Anden is a new beginning? What if revolution must be more than loss and vengeance, anger and blood—what if the Patriots are wrong?
In this highly-anticipated sequel, Lu delivers a breathtaking thriller with high stakes and cinematic action.

Release Date: January 29, 2013
Published By: Putnam Juvenile
Review Copy: ARC, 374 pages
*provided by Penguin 


Trailer

Review

  Just putting it out there right now I was so torn by the end of this one.  Naturally I was a huge Legend fan and figured I would find the same in Prodigy, which I did but so many roles were reversed and so many things changed.  The book was closed with the slightest bit of anger when I finished 
but I read it so quickly and loved almost every moment of it!  With an entire new edge, so much on the line and a new playing level Prodigy is every bit the literary treat that Legend was.

  Being on the run and being the Republic's enemy #1 was hard enough before but now Day is supposed to be dead and the Republic knows different.  Despite injuries and many issues Day and June decide to go to the Patriots, not only look for a place to hide but to see how Tess is.  This is where all the trouble starts.  The Patriots have a plan but doesn't everyone who wants to get to the top?  The problem no one really knows the others motive.  Though this does give way to an action packed and quick paced novel that will leave you wanting more, it also tests the limits of Day and Junes feelings and trust of each other.  Deception and  assassinations plots will push everyone to the limit in this installment.

  Once again I fell in love with Day.  This time however he was the June of the story.  A little blinded to what is really going on around him.  Now Day is blinded because of everything that the Republic put him through and to be honest I'm not sure I could really blame him at times.  The most important thing didn't change though, his feelings for June.  Despite everything she initially put him through he sees who she really is and trusts her.  Even in times that he isn't sure he should.  Though his hesitation about trusting June was mostly brought upon by Tess.  Sweet, innocent, little Tess made it very clear that she didn't trust June and planted a few seeds of doubt within Day.

  I really felt that this novel really let June shine.  With her eyes opened to everything that is really going on she is a much stronger character.  The only thing that I found didn't progress with her was her trust in her own feelings.  She just wouldn't let herself let Day know that she felt for him, what he felt for her.  Rather than that June pushed herself to the limits and risked more than ever.  She doesn't let anyone else cloud her judgment and has become more kick ass than I had even expected. 

 How do I finish this up...  There were ups and downs but ultimately this one pulled its weight and shifted things around.  The descriptive and devastated world that Lu created in Legend is changing.  The way you think things are just might not be what they seem and same with the characters.  Filled with twists, turns, change and action Prodigy is not to be missed.  If you are a fan of dystopians don't miss this one.

Quotes
I don't trust him because I don't understand how he can afford to hide out in such nice quarters.  An officer's quarters, in Vegas of all places. -June

"Stop."  I'm a little surprised by how loud and irritated I sound.  I've never raised my voice to Tess before, and I regret it instantly.  I can hear her jealousy in every word she says, the way she spits June's name out like she can't wait to get it over with. -Day

Another eruption of cheers.  I stay frozen where I am.  What're you supposed to do when a bunch of people are yelling your name like they're completely cracked?  I have no goddy clue. -Day
  

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for your thoughts! I'm anxious to start reading this series soon. Also glad to hear that the second book in the series lives up to the first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely will NOT miss Prodigy - I loved Legend! I haven't gotten the chance to grab Prodigy yet - but I definitely will. Really, I have heard nothing but good things about Prodigy, which is awesome, considering that it's a sequel.

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'm really going to like June in this one. I like when I can see and feel what the character is feeling. I can see why she would be closed up in some aspect but at least she's trying and the world is an exciting one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Day. I loved Day in Legend, and I have no doubt that I will love him in Prodigy. I loved Legend and I have no doubt that I will love Prodigy. I loved June. The book broke my heart. Kept me on the edge of my seat! I can't wait for this book, especially after a mysterious review such as yours! I am so glad to hear that June grows so much as a character!

    ReplyDelete
  6. UGH THE ENDING =((((( I can't even

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to read this!!!! I have only heard good things about it and I need to get on that soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...