Tuesday, February 12, 2013

**REVIEW** Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry


No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal.But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.
Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.

Release Date:  July 31, 2012
Published By: Harlequin Teen
Review Copy:  Hardcover, 392 pages
*purchased


Trailer

Review


  This one lived up to every single bit of hype there was out there.  I am however glad that I didn't read it while it was buzzing.  What am I saying...  I should have never have put this one off!  Seriously it blew every moment of hype right out o the water and then just kept on pushing on and became better than I had expected.  Told from both Echo's and Noah's point of view this book packs a serious emotional punch that had me hanging on every word.

  The story of Echo and Noah is anything but easy.  These two have had a seriously rough go at things and their lives show no sign of letting up.  Noah who has been through several foster homes after the loss of his parents wants nothing more than to have his family, his brothers back in his life.  Echo lost a piece of herself two years ago when she almost lost her life but she can remember what happened but she wants to so life can go back to normal.  They were destined to make a beautifully broken pair.  Thing is neither one of them seen what was coming at them and just how much they could help each other.  Echo could be the answer for Noah and Noah may be able to fill the black holes Echo has from her past but they are going to have to fight for it.

  I loved Echo.  She really was hurting and withdrawn from everyone and everything she used to know but who could blame her.  The scars from her past haunted her every day if that weren't bad enough she couldn't even remember what caused them.  Within the first few chapters she makes a move and tries to get her old, normal life back but it was not easy.  Heck rather than Lila her friends have been anything but supportive and all but abandoned her a pushed her into social isolation more than she withdrew.  I had a few moments where I thought she was weak but honestly they didn't last long because she was weak, she was hurt emotionally and that's not something you can easily deal with.  This girl literally struggled and fought to get herself back and I admired every scar she carried on the inside and out because they made her a stronger person.

  Noah just blew me away.  He did have the stereotypical icy exterior and bad boy attitude but when you read from his point of view you knew there was more.  Noah stopped caring because there was no one there to care about him and the times he tried to do right things just blew up and backfired on him.  Losing his parents and being separated from his brothers couldn't have been easy but there should have been someone there to help make it better but there wasn't.  Thing is underneath all the snark and cold on the outside Noah cared about people.  He didn't think people deserved to be hurt and had a big heart.  Like every time he called Echo baby I could help the flutters in my stomach for just how sweet he was.  Noah is the kind of guy that just reading about makes your heart skip a beat and your temperature rises just a little (or a lot).

  Pushing the Limits deals with so many hard and dark situations and is much more than just a love story.  This is about letting go, learning to love again, how to trust your heart, yourself and let someone in.  The writing is phenomenal and flows perfectly.  Personally I was hooked from the start and though it was tied up I wasn't ready for it to end.  McGarry has shown her talent and gone above and beyond with this one.  I'm not sure if she will be able to top Echo and Noah's story in Dare Me To but I am looking forward to finding out.

Quotes
Our table became eerily silent as the most beautiful girl at school openly defied the most popular girl at school.  A lull fell over the cafeteria as the student body prepared to watch the showdown in progress. -Echo

The stubble on his face moved as he smiled.  Noah had muscles, looks and trouble stalking him.  Somehow he made jeans and a T-shirt look dangerous.  Not that I was into girl-using stoners.  Yet, I took another peek at him while sipping my drink. -Echo

"I know crazy when I see it."  The moment the words flew out of my mouth I regretted them.  Sometimes when you see the line, you think it's a good idea to cross it-until you do. -Noah

We'd read about sirens in English this fall; Greek mythology bullshit about women so beautiful, their voices so enchanting, that men did anything for them.  Turned out that mythology crap was real because every time I saw her, I lost my mind. -Noah

She held perfectly still, keeping her hand on mine, her head resting on my shoulder.  I nuzzled into the warmth of her silky curls, tightening my hold on her.  Echo was becoming essential, like air.  -Noah





6 comments:

  1. Noah and his brothers made me cry! I also love Mrs. Collins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea there was a trailer. I really like your review and the quotes. I have to push this up the tbr

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a beautiful story. I look forward to reading it again soon. Such a heartbreaking story altogether but I couldn't stop turning the pages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is next on my to be read list, I have read so many good reviews. I had no idea there was a trailer either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sits on my shelf, looking at me day after day and I have yet to read it. WHAT is WRONG with me? I have literally never heard a bad thing about it. I need to just read it already! Thanks for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...