Saturday, November 10, 2012

**REVIEW** BREATHE by Sarah Crossan

Inhale. Exhale. Breathe. Breathe. Breathe . . .The world is dead. The survivors live under the protection of Breathe, the corporation that found a way to manufacture oxygen-rich air.
Alinahas been stealing for a long time. She's a little jittery, but not terrified. All she knows is that she's never been caught before. If she's careful, it'll be easy. If she's careful.
Quinnshould be worried about Alina and a bit afraid for himself, too, but even though this is dangerous, it's also the most interesting thing to happen to him in ages. It isn't every day that the girl of your dreams asks you to rescue her.
Beawants to tell him that none of this is fair; they'd planned a trip together, the two of them, and she'd hoped he'd discover her out here, not another girl.
And as they walk into the Outlands with two days' worth of oxygen in their tanks, everything they believe will be shattered. Will they be able to make it back? Will they want to?
Release Date: Oct. 2, 2012
Published by: Greenwillow
Review copy: Hardback- 373 pages


Trailer
So the trailer is kind of creepy but the book isn't...



*Note* This review was meant to go up next week.  I couldn't hold it in long 
enough and pushed it to today. ENJOY!!

REVIEW

  I seriously have no idea where to start with this review because I just all around loved it.  Even the things that I felt were going to drive me insane as I read it, I ended up appreciating.  I have recently become addicted to apocalyptic and dystopian novels (often they come hand in hand) but like all great things I start to find that they all follow relatively the same groove.  Breathe broke that, and is a breath of fresh air in a genre that has started to forge a groove in which they seems to all follow.

  *Deep Inhale*. This story was all I had wanted, expected and like ten times more. Breathe is a dystopian read that is amazingly plausible if you stop and think about it.  We tear our trees down and destroy so many basic things that the earth truly needs to survive that in the end we might not see what's happening before its too late.  This is our fate in Breathe.  Air is not free and life is all about status once again.  The trees are gone and the earth is all but desolate, people don't question what the government says becaues they know what's best for us right?  Right?!  That is what we want to believe.  Also I'll just point out now that several times I was thrown and did question what I myself knew.  This was only accentuated by the fact that the world that Sarah Crossan created is so vivid  and made it easy to picture everything that was going on.

  Another possible reason for loving this book so much stems from the fact that it is told from multiple points of view.  Three to be exact: Bea, Alina and Quinn.  Quinn is a premium, meaning he is an elite in the dome.  However unlike most of his type Quinn doesn't act like he is better than everyone or knows more he just simply is.  That being said he is also a teen boy a frequently lets his hormones run him.  I know that got a smile or two because I was smiling as I wrote it.  Despite this I always see the best of intentions behind what he does and besides being completely oblivious about Bea and her affection for him, he still cares deeply for her.  Though he is stubborn in many different ways Quinn grows a lot and even begins to see things from his own point of view not the one that the government says he's supposed to have.


  Bea is truly unique and I love her for that.  She holds so much in because she feels it is right.  Not always right for her but for those around her.  To an extent she does this to protect herself as well but she also had a voice when she believed in something.  When it came to inner strength Bea takes the cake.  The quiet and obedient girl knows how to speak her mind and stand up for what's right or what she feels is right when she wants to.  The fact that she also doesn't take things at face value means a lot to me, shallow characters are almost as bad as whiny ones at times.  Bea is someone that everyone can like really.  She i moral yet knows when t break the rules a little.


  You want a stubborn and head strong girl?  Alina is the perfect choice.  Man this chick was harder than stone towards most when you first meet her but she does have her reasons.  The people she seems to care most about keep on going missing and that doesn't leave much room in one for friendship, kindness and other related endeavours.  But she grows and becomes way more than that, although she does maintain her hard outer shell.  Though she is not as easy to connect with as Bea she shines in her own way and I found myself holding my breath when it came to her and her actions.


  This is where I had my moments: the romance.  Honestly it was headed toward a strange and awkward triangle.  You know the one I speak of: girl likes boy, boy likes other girl, other girl... Well other girl just not interested in anyone.  Blah!  However this became almost an endearing thing to read.  I kept my hopes up and prayed that Quinn would just open his eyes to what he had.  This romance does play a bit larger of a part than I expected but honestly I don't think I would change a single thing about it, if given the chance.  The characters all had their hopes and dreams of one another but in the end it pulled through for me and really pulled at my heart.  It took a few near death experiences for all to fall into place but hey it happened.


  This is one of my favourite 2012 reads by far.  I tried to find something that I didn't lov but just came up empty handed.  The writing is superb and not over detailed (yes there is such thing and I kills stories) and yet you knew constantly where you were and could picture it clear as day.  The characters are clear, precise and complete individuals and I just couldn't get enough of them.  This is a must read book, that is a MUST have series.  This is the kind of book that your pre-order all that comes after it just so you can have it in your hands a soon as possible.



Quotes
When she stands up again I smile at her, too.  I think I might be trying to prove how nice I am, so she'll be on my side.

No one imagined the oceans could die.  And not so quickly.  But that's how things usually go.  We always think we have time.  We didn't.

I really never thought much about my life before, and it's kind of sad that the first time I am actually thinking about it is probably the last time I will; it's likely I wont survive more than a day...

He almost allows himself a smile, and this makes me sad; he is proud of me and it's because he thinks I've betrayed my best friend.

9 comments:

  1. Oooo, I just checked this one out of the library! I hear it's really good! And said it's one of your favorite books of 2012?! Wow! I love the three points of view - there are usually only one, or maybe two! But I was scared because I just knew there would be a love triangle - with two girls and three boys, but I actually like the sound of this love triangl! One loves another who doesn't love anyone! That's not a typicaly love triangle, which is good (by typical, I mean two people love one person, who thinks he/she loves both of them). So, I'll be reading this one soon, since I have it from the library! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this one's one I have to buy for myself. I have to admit part of it is the cover. It would look really nice next to my other books! But all the same, this sounds like a really cool new dystopian. I just found out yesterday that it has multiple POVs so I'm glad that it's got something else to make it different from all the other books coming out in that genre.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the chance to read this one before it goes on the library shelf, and I think I might just take it! I love your review! It definitely made me excited for this book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds great! love the idea of a corporation doing the "breathe". interesting idea

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ma so excited to hear that you loved this book so much! I have been waiting patiently to get my hands on it because I was hoping it would be so much of what you explained! Thank you for making me even more excited! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! This book sounds amazing and I loved the quotes :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this one as well. I look forward to seeing where the series is going! Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read this one yet it is sitting on my self in my ever growing TBR pile but I cannot wait to get to it. This is a great review and I think I just bumped Breathe up the list :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read this yet, and I want to so bad! Great review, definitely put it up higher on the TBR list!
    -beth
    YA Vixens

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...