Saturday, April 6, 2013

**QUICKY REVIEW** Neferet's Curse

The White City, 1893: In turn-of-the-century Chicago, with the World’s Fair bringing bustle and excitement to her home city, sixteen-year-old Emily Wheiler should be reveling in her youthful beauty and the excitement around her. But her whole life changed when her mother died, leaving her to be the Lady of Wheiler House. Her father, a powerful bank president, is at the center of an important social hub for the booming young city, and he needs Emily to do everything her mother would have – to be a good hostess and make sure the mansion runs smoothly.
As Emily uneasily tries to replace her mother, she also longs for more… for love and a life of her own. When a handsome young man notices her at one of her father’s parties, it seems that her hopes may finally be coming true. Until her father forbids her to see him – or any other man – and starts revealing a darkly violent side that even he can’t understand.
At last, afraid for her life and with nowhere to turn, Emily is Marked by a vampyre and brought to the Chicago House of Night, where she begins a magickal new life that should allow the wounds from her past to heal. But as she gains strength, and a powerful new name, she carries a dark need to wreak vengeance on the man she trusted most.
From victim to High Priestess, beautiful young woman to powerful seductress, Neferet's journey begins in NEFERET'S CURSE...
Release Date: February 19, 2013
Published By:  St. Martin's Griffin
Review Copy:  Hardcover, 146 pages
*gift

Review


  The House of Night books for the longest time were like an obsession for me but then they started to drag a little for me.  Now I still buy them when they come out because I can't help but want to know what's going to happen.  The novellas however are spectacular and though this one was about Neferet who I have never cared for, I am a sucker for the glimpse into what makes characters who they are.

  Neferet was forced to grow up before she should have.  Her mother passed during the birthing of her stillborn brother and her father pressed her to become the lady/mistress of the house.  Though she was at first pleased with her father finally showing her attention, it quickly turned to dread.  Despite my dislike for her dread forced itself into my gut like a lead weight.  Between the drinking and his actions her Dad both ticked me off and terrified the crap out of me.  I did understand her urgency and her reasons for doing what she did.  Problem is it also proved that the darkness in her runs deeper than I could have ever imagined.

  This novella has serious depth and is dark like the person it is written about.  I found myself held like a moth to a light.  The writing was wonderful and rekindled my love for these books.  Even with Neferet not being a favourite character of mine I was still interested and invested in this story.  P.C. cast and Kirsten Cast really do shine in these novellas and even if your love for HON has fizzled give these a go because they are like the original gold the series started out with.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't caught up with these books in FOREVER! I can't even remember the last one I read! Maybe it was the one with Stevie Rae on it? Burned? WOW. I hope you keep up with it! I know I won't be. TOO MANY!

    Great review!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still need to start this series. I love it when good novellas are released that go along with a series, but it seems more often that they are just filler books so I tend to skip over them. Glad to hear that isn't the case wih this series. Which book was the first one you felt dragged on because I have heard this quite a bit with this series.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...