Thursday, July 26, 2012

**REVIEW** Frozen by Robin Wasserman

The Download was supposed to change the world.It was supposed to mean the end of aging, the end of death, the birth of a new humanity. But it wasn't supposed to happen to someone like Lia Kahn.And it wasn't supposed to ruin her life.
Lia knows she should be grateful she didn't die in the accident. The Download saved her--but it also changed her, forever. She can deal with being a freak. She can deal with the fear in her parents' eyes and the way her boyfriend flinches at her touch. But she can't deal with what she knows, deep down, every time she forces herself to look in the mirror. She's not the same person she used to be.
Maybe she's not even a person at all.

  Lia is something that she shouldn't be.  Dead.  A freak accident changed her life forever and despite the fact that she shouldn't be dead, she is dead but the doctors are telling her different.  Her body is gone but they have downloaded the contents of her brain into a new one, a mech one.  Now her her perfect friends, perfect boyfriend and  her entire perfect life aren't what they used to be.  Heck they aren't existent and Lia is stuck trying to work it all out and trying to find a reason to just be.

  This book and I got off to a bit of a rough start.  Actually Lia and I had a rough start but I kind of adjusted just like she did.  The biggest thing was to start I had a hard time relating I think.  She was super negative and just seemed to want to let go and push everything away but slowly I realized just how reasonable she was being.  I thought could I handle this... Answer: NO!  I would freak out and wish that my parents hadn't made that choice but in the end Lia did what I would do, suck it up and give it a go.  For her it was disastrous and all things considered she did way better than I would.

  Emotions filled me when Lia made the move to go home.  I was scared, worried and oh so angry about what might happen.  Why angry you may ask?  Well seeing no one bothered to visit her while she was "adjusting" to her new self I was prepared for the worst the moment she made the decision and from there the feeling just grew.  Her sister treats her like CRAP and even her parents seem to distance themselves from her.  Seriously why save your kid just so you can deny them and make them feel like even less of a human being! Freaking F- on the parenting grade.  Heck any form of family support may have made Lia feel better but everything just keeps sliding down hill for the poor girl!

  Her boyfriend, well EX boyfriend is slim!! There comes a point and time where your loyalty is tested in every relationship and I just felt like he bailed before her even really knew.  The fact that Lia doesn't look the same or sound the same and isn't in an "organic" body doesn't mean she doesn't feel.  She feels and even when she isn't sure if she does you can feel the hurt.  This is on;y intensified by the fact that her friends are now her sisters friends and they treat her like @^*% too.  First glance made me think that it was going to good and that despite their detachment they would realize she was still mostly Lia, but heck no.  They are shallow and have no desire to be around a "skinner."

  There is a light at the end of the tunnel though.  A group of Mechs (skinners) wants to help Lia or convert her I am unsure really.  Regardless of whatever they intend on doing, I think that they kind of help Lia to get over her inability to accept that she is no longer the same as everyone else and she never will be again.  I want her to be able to go on with a normal life like she was promised but lets face the facts here, NO ONE is going to let that happen.  Not her family, friends, boyfriend or really the doctors that made the statement to start with.  These guys are a little intense but I ended up kind of liking their reckless and adrenaline driven ways.

  Lia does manage to gain a friend: Auden.  Not quite the kind of friendship you would expect and I was seriously pissed with the way Lia treated him frequently.  Thing is he always came back for more.  When she endangered him, when she pushed him away and even when she left him behind.  The boy is a freaking sucker for punishment and I had a love/hate relationship with him for it.  You have to give someone credit that doesn't give two craps about what anyone else thinks.  Jude kind of complicates the friendship but actually in a very realistic yet sad way.

  I will be picking up Shatter because I seriously need to know what happens.  Biggest thing that I loved about this book was Robin Wasserman's writing.  It was amazing and I think that Robin's writing is what really managed to pull the story off in the end.  This being said I will admit that I probably would have stopped and not gone on if this wasn't such a well written novel.  This is the type of writing that screams read me!  I haven't really read anything like it so I can't make any hard recommendations but if you are a fan of dystopian or technologically advanced books you might want to give this one a try.





2 comments:

  1. Oh my God, I love that cover! I am all for ice, snow, anything cold really.

    Your review has totally convinced me to read the book. Awesome review, Tiffany!

    Sana @ artsy musings of a bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so picking up this book. I love the cover but your review made me want to read it. I'm really interested in the relationship between Lia and Auden (I even like his name).

    Then there is the mech (skinners). I like outsiders. Should be interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...