Monday, April 8, 2013

**REVIEW** OPAL by Jennifer L. Armentrout

No one is like Daemon Black.
When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.
But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.
After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.
Together we’re stronger... and they know it.
Release Date: December 11, 2012
Published By:  Entangeled Teen
Review Copy: Paperback, 382 pages
*Purchased

Trailer

  



Review

So this book totally rocked.  I fell in love with the series during Obsidian and did enjoy Onyx but not as much as I had hoped.  Opal however rekindled that epic love and the pushed for more.  In fact I am all but vibrating waiting for Origin because the book can not come soon enough!  Turns out that this 382 page book which felt like half the amount was far more addicting than I had expected.  This could be because there was so much action, tension and emotion packed into it that it was next to impossible to put down!

  Katy and Daemon are finally together but things are still complicated.  With Dawson back and the constant fear of the DOD coming to retrieve him there isn't really any time to kick back.  Despite this Daemon and Katy do occasionally try for normally.  Though I loved that their normal still included the banter and tension that is so famously them.  When it comes down to it though this book is about getting things done and dealing with a lot of loss.  Dee is no longer Katy's best friend and basically wants nothing to do with her or any human since the loss of Adam.  Though the loss of Adam hits hard and regaining Dawson is something, Dawson is determined to regain his beloved Beth and to do so they have to trust the one person they would rather see dead than alive.

  Oh man, the character growth in this book is beyond words but I will try.  Katy is onl partially the girl she once was.  She still loves to read and cares fiercely about those around her but she now has lost and gained something.  She is willing to do anything and I mean anything to protect those she loves and even if there is no going back she doesn't regret.  Daemon is the same full of himself character but his live for Katy is showing an entirely new side to him.  He is over protective at times but most of the time it's an endearing quality.  The pair could not have worked out more perfect and I was happy to see that they didn't loose what made them unique in giving in to their attraction.

 The action was stepped up many levels in this one.  Maybe it was because th chase for Katy was over or maybe it was simply the return of the dead brother but regardless my need for more action was met with this one.  When it all started with a body through a window there was no doubt that what would one after would be epic.  Though there were many moments throughout that had me gripping the pages including a failed attempt that had me holdin my breath, it was without a doubt the  ending that took the #1 action spot and had my heart racing.

  Though I had my suspensions nothin could have truly prepared me for the way things ended.  My heart broke a little and I may have let out an angry/frustrated noise while sitting in the passenger seat of a car momentarily distracting the driver.  Armentrout has my full attention with the heart breaking and heart racing ending.  These characters are killing me but despite that if you have yet to start the series you need to!  Even with a hanger ending I would recommend this series to just about anyone because even I the lien/sci-fi weary reader is fully addicted to this series!!


Quotes
"I know," I said, settling on my side, too.  My gaze flickered over his broad cheekbones, full bottom lip, and those extraodinarily bright green eyes.  Daemon was beautiful but prickly, like a Christmas cactus.

Not sure what that said about me, because like Daemon said once before, a life was a life, but I don't know how to process adding the words 'okay with killing' to the bio section on my blog.

I went with Lesa's choice in attire, much to Daemon's happiness.  If he made one more comment about the length of my skirt, I was going to hurt him.And if (...) did, Daemon was going to maim him.

A few days ago I'd really believed the reason Daemon wanted to come over to my house after school was to... do it.  But heck, at the rate we were going, we'd be fifty before anything like that happened.

3 comments:

  1. thank you a lot for this review so well written... i do own the book but i haven't managed to decide to read it ... too afraid of a big cliffhanger and having to wait too long for teh next book though after reading your review i admit it's even harder to wait

    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book! I hate that the ending is a cliffhanger, but that means there is so much more awesomeness to come! Onyx is still my favorite (so far), but I'm excited to see what's to come! Great review! :D

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read this series SO bad! i feel like everyone has read it but me!! Thank you for this excellent review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...