Saturday, May 26, 2012

*REVIEW* A Need So Beautiful by Suzanne Young

We all want to be remembered. Charlotte's destiny is to be Forgotten...

Charlotte’s best friend thinks Charlotte might be psychic. Her boyfriend thinks she’s cheating on him. But Charlotte knows what’s really wrong: She is one of the Forgotten, a kind of angel on earth, who feels the Need—a powerful, uncontrollable draw to help someone, usually a stranger.

But Charlotte never wanted this responsibility. What she wants is to help her best friend, whose life is spiraling out of control. She wants to lie in her boyfriend's arms forever. But as the Need grows stronger, it begins to take a dangerous toll on Charlotte. And who she was, is, and will become--her mark on this earth, her very existence--is in jeopardy of disappearing completely.

Charlotte will be forced to choose: Should she embrace her fate as a Forgotten, a fate that promises to rip her from the lives of those she loves forever? Or is she willing to fight against her destiny--no matter how dark the consequences.

***********
  So much to love about this book and so little to complain about.  The story was captivating and original from the start.  I had thought that it sounded like another twist on the angel thing but as I read the book I found myself leaning away from that theory.  What is it about?  The Forgotten...  I know the description says "a kind of angel on earth" but she seems like so much more and so much less at the same time. 


  Charlotte wants to be normal but life isn't always fair.  When she feels "the need" she is basically helpless against it.  It doesn't matter if she wants to do it or not, her body compels her to move and help.  I really don't want to give a lot away about what she does but I can only imagine how hard it is.  Resisting is next to impossible and has horrible consequences.  Throughout the book you can't help but feel for Charlotte for all the stuff she has to do and go through.  Helping people and spreading love and kindness is wonderful but sacrificing everything to do it... Such a hard thing to think about and choose willingly to do.


  The romance between Harlin and Charlotte is nothing short of steamy and true.  The feelings that those two have for each other and the love is honestly one of the most well written and beautiful relationships I have read.  I really wanted more of it to be honest.  The scenes with the two of them aren't long but what you do get is high in intensity.  The way that the author even describes the way he looks at her and how she feels about him will seriously make you melt everytime.


  With all good there is bad.  All the high intensity romance and feelings are balanced out by the overall feeling of dread.  The thought of being forgotten, of leaving everyone and everything that you know behind to go to the unknown.  To be honest with you at times it really pulled at my heart when Charlotte was forced to choose between what she wanted and what she had to do.  In these moments I really wished that I had been given a little more background on who/what the forgotten really were and how they came to be.  One particular moment with her best friend Sarah just about broke my heart.


  This book was nothing short of wonderful to me.  It isn't a long novel but what is packed into the 267 pages is powerful.  I know that 267 pages isn't exactly short but it feels that way when the book is gone in under a day.  There were many moments that I loved but also some that made me want to scream.  That's the best kind of book though right?  The ones that evoke every feeling as you read.  I had moments when I couldn't help but laugh out loud and moments when it was all I could do to hold the tears back.  I strongly recommend this book if you are looking for an original read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...