Tuesday, October 23, 2012

**REVIEW** Mystic City by Theo Lawrence

Aria Rose, youngest scion of one of Mystic City's two ruling rival families, finds herself betrothed to Thomas Foster, the son of her parents' sworn enemies. The union of the two will end the generations-long political feud—and unite all those living in the Aeries, the privileged upper reaches of the city, against the banished mystics who dwell below in the Depths. But Aria doesn't remember falling in love with Thomas; in fact, she wakes one day with huge gaps in her memory. And she can't conceive why her parents would have agreed to unite with the Fosters in the first place. Only when Aria meets Hunter, a gorgeous rebel mystic from the Depths, does she start to have glimmers of recollection—and to understand that he holds the key to unlocking her past. The choices she makes can save or doom the city—including herself. 

Release Date: October 9, 2012
Published By: Delacorte Press
Hardback: 416 pages


Trailer


Review
I love finding out that my cover love more than just a pretty cover.  Yes I did read the description and was interested but we have all been there where it all looks pretty and sparkly but inside just isn't.  Mystic City was the total opposite for me.  Actually truth be told it was better than what I had expected and completely different.  The expectations that I had ended up being met but in a different way and in some ways they were exceeded. When I put this book down I found myself thinking of it and once when at work I actually rushed my second break by a half hour just to get back to it.  This is due to the fact just when I thought I had it all figured out Theo Lawrence threw one heck of a curve at me. 

  The story itself was kind of like a futuristic Romeo and Juliet or so it seems.  Only problem is Aria (Juliet) can't remember her forbidden romance.  Like none of it, not even Thomas (Romeo).  In fact besides the fact that she finds him undeniably attractive she doesn't even think she loves him.  Oh, did I mention hat they are now engaged?!  All I could think was WTF?! because with no memory and being from feuding families how did this happen.  There are feelings that she has and glimpses of her past that she gets but none of them are clear.  This gave me a better idea of what was going on but still left a lot open.  Though some parts I found predictable there were many more that had me glued to the pages wanting to know was was going on.


  Aria almost turned me in this book to start.  I know you are all thinking about how much I said I loved this book and I did.  But that's more than anything because I ended up loving Aria.  To start she was super impressionable and weak willed.  I get that her father is one of the most powerful in the city but I wanted to smack her wen she so easily followed orders, including the marriage to a guy she doesn't remember!  She grows though and starts thinking for herself.  Well as much as she can but above all she is trying to find what she lost when no one else seems to be worried about the massive gaps in memory.  Despite her flaws she is an awesome character and I just found they made her more human.  


  When it comes to the guys in this book I  had a clear and instant choice but I did have moments of doubt but then I would read on and feel silly.  Thomas though he was attractive and Aria's to be husband there was a feeling that I just couldn't shake when it came to him.  He was supposed to love her and want nothing more than to spend his life with her yet many of his actions screamed the opposite.  Then Hunter walked onto the scene and for me all bets were off.  Though he wasn't as perfect as Thomas he was better looking and had  a personality.  The fact that Aria wasn't immediately taken by him also helped spark my interest as well.  This also made for a more interesting go at things because they came from two worlds further apart than two feuding families. 


  The romance is actually not really up front and centre with this one.  I mean its there and all but 

the book is more about Aria trying to find her memories and who she really is or at least that's how I felt.  In all truthfulness I'm glad that it wasn't.  This ensured that there was no insta love and what romance there was, was developed.  I half expected Aria to just fall for Thomas just because her family wanted he to and that's what s right.  She does try but nothing feels right with him and even the spark isn't really there.  Things aren't always what they seem and the romance does shine in the end but everyone has to wok for it.

  Before I forget I should mention just how awesome the world the Theo Lawrence built is.  There are really two separate worlds to consider: Aeries and the Depths.  Both are distinct and well written places.  Aeries is where the feuding families live.  The Roses and the Fosters.  East and West that has always been divided and at war.   The Depths is where the poor and the mystics live.  It is not beautiful or even really fantastic conditions.  The saddest thing about it is that it's not only horrid conditions but the way the people are treated in that area that are sad.  It's a case of rich getting richer and using the poor to get there.  There is also a BIG shocker but hold on because its worth it.


  I highly recommend this novel lovers of dystopian, fantasy and love a good story.  Theo Lawrence is a creative and talented writer that has officially hooked me into this series.  The characters growth and the all around growth of the story is wonderful and my heart was totally in this book by the end and I was already wanting more.  Aria is strong and a heroine to look out for and the lack of a triangle will have many readers smiling.  Give this one a go because it is worth every page!!

Quotes

My father emerges from the shadows.  He aims the wicked barrel of his pistol at my head.Inside me something bursts.I always knew this story would break my heart. 


On the surface, my story is a simple one.  I fell in love.  I took a drug.  I had a bad reaction, and and I'm suffering some temporary memory loss as a result.


We used to be great people who helped build this city.  Now look at us--reduced and powerless.  This carnival, this bit of excitement... it's the happiest I've seen anyone all year.


"Oh Garland, that's so sweet," Franny replied.  They remind me of a young Jack and Jackie Kennedy, only less interesting.  And less Catholic.

5 comments:

  1. I'm really excited to read this one. It's next on my list after the ebook I'm reading now. I'm glad to hear that this is so much fun to read and that Lawrence throws so many curves to the reader!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome review. I am glad to see you liked it. this is one of the books I have seen up and down thoughts on. I am really excited to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it awesome when a pretty cover is just as pretty once you start reading it? It is so disappointing to be crazy over a cover, and then blah over the insides. Mystic City has one of my favorite covers this year, so now that I have started seeing reviews of the book about how good it is it makes the cover even prettier. And I love the name Aira. I love that she is a kick butt girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also loved this cover, so I'm glad it turned out to be a good read. Plus I'm glad you didn't spoil whatever big surprise happens. I feel like this book kind of got overshadowed by bigger releases when it came out, so I meant to read it, but kind of forgot. Definitely plan on moving it up my list now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! This cover does look cool! I like dystopian books with romance. The book trailer is cool too; I think I will check this book out. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...