Saturday, October 27, 2012

**REVIEW** Zombies Don't Cry by Rusty Fischer

Maddy Swift is just a normal girl—a high school junior surviving class with her best friend and hoping the yummy new kid, Stamp, will ask her out. When he finally does, her whole life changes.
Sneaking out to meet Stamp at a party one rainy night, Maddy is struck by lightning. After awakening, she feels lucky to be alive. Over time, however, Maddy realizes that she’s become the thing she and everyone else fear most: the living dead.
With no heartbeat and no breath in her lungs, Maddy must learn how to survive as a zombie. Turns out there’s a lot more to it than shuffling around 24/7 growling, “Brains.” Needing an afterlife makeover is only the beginning of her problems. As Barracuda Bay High faces zombie Armageddon, Maddy must summon all of her strength to protect what matters most—just as soon as she figures out exactly what that is.
Release Date:  March 24, 2011
Published by: Medallion Press 
Review Copy: E-book (Kindle)  


REVIEW


  What a fun and easy read.  I was done this one before I knew it and I loved every moment of it!  Meaning while on holiday this Ebook travelled to the beach, the pool and lunch.  It didn't make it to dinner.  Honestly it was that good.  I love the zombies, the way thy com to be and even their world.  This isn't your typical "brains, need brains" zombie book... Well they do need brains so there are brains but not in the decomposing, dragging limbs behind them kind of way.  This is a much more original thought through take on zombies that steps away from the stereotypical look that they have from television and movies.

  There is also the matter of the humorous, witty and  brilliant story.  I mean for a book of this length I didn't find myself wanting or needing a break.  It was more like I had people looking at me for laughing out loud while reading.  The love definitely started when I read the chapter titles.  They are amazingly suited to the chapters and so much fun, by the time I got to "You Might Be a Zombie If..." I realized I was completely and utterly hooked.  There isn't really any down time or the feeling that you aren't going anywhere either.  This is a constantly moving, got your attention and not letting it go kind of novel.

  Maddy was wonderful.  Full of bad luck but wonderful.  For a girl that is comfortable with who 
she is, who she's friends with and her kind of strict but loving father she sure knows how to keep life interesting.  If sneaking out and getting all zombie'd doesn't qualify as interesting I'm not really sure what would.  She then has to learn how exactly to be a zombie and I know you are thinking what?!  But hey there are rules and regulations if you want to be a good zombie and stay alive(ish).  Maddy seems to adjust well for the most part but struggles at times with the things she has to hide and the stuff she has to give up.  

  The romance didn't really get a chance to gain much ground but I am okay with that.  The time was spent developing a story and the characters but the potential for some serious romance is there.  Dane is really something else.  I think given a choice I would totally route for him with his understanding and laid back demeanour.  Stamp is another open possibility but I wasn't near as fond of him.  Though he isn't a bad guy I just couldn't get the none tigon with him that I had win Dane.  Both these guys do have potential and I am actually glad that there was no rush to put Maddy in a relationship with one guy or the other.

   With how awesome this book was, I'm totally psyched about picking up anything by Mr. Fischer in the future.  He has a captivating and intriguing story laid out that has me presently hooked.  It's not an embellishment by any means to say that this story is brilliant and witty.  It doesn't matter if you are a Zombie lover, Zombie hesitant or new to them this book is sure to draw you in and lead to laughs and a serious Rusty Fischer addiction. 

QUOTES
I watch him go - well, a certain part of him go, anyway - until I can't see that perfectly shaped derriere anymore,...

I've never dated a jock before.  What if that's just what jocks do?  Hang their landing strips out to dry in front of the boys' locker room every day and see what sticks?

And that's that: Dad in a nutshell.  His daughter is a Goth; either I'll grow out of it or he'll get used to it.

"So, basically, I've been a zombie for, what, less than two weeks and I've already killed more Zerkers than you two?  Unbelievable, just... unbelievable."

2 comments:

  1. I've got this one sitting on my ebook waiting to be read (I find it harder to get to ebooks than to real books lol). I'm really interested now, your review makes this sound like such a fun book and I love when you don't realize the length and you just fly through it! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quote about the derriere! I love this review. I have heard such good things about this book. The sad thing is that I have this book on my Kindle and I have not read it yet. I really need to. Especially if I can get through it that fast!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...