Thursday, October 18, 2012

**REVIEW** Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

Kami Glass loves someone she’s never met . . . a boy she’s talked to in her head ever since she was born. She wasn’t silent about her imaginary friend during her childhood, and is thus a bit of an outsider in her sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale. Still, Kami hasn’t suffered too much from not fitting in. She has a best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is in order, just the way she likes it, despite the voice in her head.
But all that changes when the Lynburns return.
The Lynburn family has owned the spectacular and sinister manor that overlooks Sorry-in-the-Vale for centuries. The mysterious twin sisters who abandoned their ancestral home a generation ago are back, along with their teenage sons, Jared and Ash, one of whom is eerily familiar to Kami. Kami is not one to shy away from the unknown—in fact, she’s determined to find answers for all the questions Sorry-in-the-Vale is suddenly posing. Who is responsible for the bloody deeds in the depths of the woods? What is her own mother hiding? And now that her imaginary friend has become a real boy, does she still love him? Does she hate him? Can she trust him?
Release Date:  September 11, 2012
Published by:  Random House
Hardcover: 370 pages


Trailer

Review

  Upon spotting this book months ago I knew I had to have it.  The premiss and cover just pulled me right in and so basically it was love at first sight.  Needless to say I took me a bit to get my hands on this one (it came in form of a gift from Jessirae @ Words, Pages and Books) but it was well worth the wait.  Sarah Rees Brennan did a phenomenal job of filling this book right to the brim with mystery and such a tense romance that you will feel like you can't flip the pages fast enough.

  The story in this novel is fun, unique and easy to read.  Not only that but the world that Sarah Rees Brennan created was easy to see within just a few chapters.  Sorry-in-the-Vale was like most small towns quiet but it has its secrets if you look hard enough.  I loved all of the little details about the town and its people, however there was always a certain amount of detail left out so that there was still mystery to it.  I'm not talking details that kill the story but ones that need to not be there to leave you guessing, leave you wanting more.  Most of this has to do with the Lynburn's and both their return and their history with the town.  The overall result is a strong and well crafted story that has many different elements to love.

  Kami is a wonderful and masterfully written.  She aspires to be a journalist and is a little over the top and could be considered even a little odd.  Actually people do consider her odd as she has always had a voice in her head that she speaks to.  This does not discourage her in any way though.  Kami seems content with the way things are and I really love that about her.  She doesn't need someone in her life to be complete, although she does care very much bout her family and her best friend Angela.    Basically Kami is all things you want to read about in a heroine and doesn't go all needy when it comes to boys.  Another big attractant is that she's smart and quick to say what's on her mind!  This elicited  many smiles and a couple giggles throughout this read.

  Jared, Ash and Angela are also crucial characters in this book.  Angela is Kami's BFF and is frequently the cause of smiles.  She is beautiful and knows it, instead of flaunting this she seems like she could care less and actually has a lot of snark when it comes to guys.  Actually the girl is all around chalk full of snark and attitude and I love it!  Ash is not quite as prominent as Jared and Angela but he kind of puts his foot in the door early on in the book.  Though I am never drawn to him and constantly felt that there was something he was hiding, I can see the appeal at times.  Jared... Oh Jared how you make us swoon.  He is both relaxed and arrogant but there is something attractive about him and I couldn't help but love him.

  Oh, the romance in this one was something else an in my opinion could seriously rival the tension between Katie and Daemon!  I know you are all thinking I'm going a little nuts but the tension between Jared and Kami is undeniable and made me want to shake one or the other on several occasions.  They have a very clear attraction but different circumstances always seem to pull them apart and create yet more tension.  It is very clear that Jared cares for Kami and even has a bit of a protective thing going on when it comes to her.  There are so many times I thought mor would happen or wished that the would just take that step to become more.

  Overall this book quickly became one of my favourites and for so many good reasons.  The ending killed me a little bit though.   By this I mean that it is possible that my heart broke a little.  I guess it just means that there is more of a reason to look forward to the next book...  To fix that heart break.  However despite my little upset at the end I loved the rest of this book.  The romance is overbearing and the heroine is self sufficient and strong.  The witty dialogue, fun story and bits of mystery make for a page turner and a book I highly recommend!


Quotes
Angela slung an arm around Kami's shoulders as they went up stairs. " Your soul is like the souls of a thousand monkeys on crack, all smushed together," she told Kami.

"Kami, I know all the other kids are throwing themselves down wells now, but your mother and I have a firm policy of no danger sports until you're eighteen."

Jared shot a look over his shoulder as she did so.  There's a card up in your little sweetshop advertising Pomeranian cross puppies free to a good hoe, he observed.What's your point?I'm not a puppy, said Jared.  You can't give me away.

Note:
If you want a good laugh flip to page 141.  I laughed like a mad woman.











5 comments:

  1. I want this book so badly. This is one I am really really excited to read and have not been able to yet. awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved this book, the romance was so amazing, I really loved how hard it was for Kami and Jared. I completely agree with you about the ending, I couldn't believe that she left it there. Beautiful review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhhh this book. It's driving me crazy with all the good comments I see everywhere. I need this one now! I also think the cover would look very nice on my bookshelf, that always helps. Christmas is coming soon, add that to the wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had a chance yet, but this one is definitely on my to read soon list. As soon as possible. The cover is one of my favorite EVER covers, and the premise is one of my favorites. And on the plus side, people love it so I have high hopes for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that I have finally had the chance to read it, I feel a need to comment on all of the reviews that I come across, even the ones that I commented on before, just so that I can say "WOW! I LOVE this book"! Sarah Rees Brennan is officially a favorite, and Unspoken is without a doubt at the top of my list. Kami and Jared were phenomenal characters, and every single one of the secondary characters were perfect. Well fleshed out, honest, well drawn. I genuinely love this story and I cannot wait for book 2 to get here already!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...